Can Mold Grow Under Vinyl Plank Flooring?
We have all heard about mold as a notorious home wrecker that has the power to destroy our health and property. Unfortunately, mold can potentially create such havoc for the people around it. While this fungal organism dwells in small spaces, it can quickly spread in the air, food, and even your respiratory system to cause health hazards. Mold and Environmental is a company with years of professional experience in mold remediation and removal from residential and commercial properties.
While mold detection on its own is very problematic, what is even more confusing is the mold growing under vinyl plank flooring. Homeowners are often confused about whether mold grows underneath their vinyl flooring. Although the buzz about vinyl plank flooring is at its peak, liquids can seep through cracks, edges, and grooves. Mold often gets underneath the floor, getting trapped there to propagate further.
Reach out to the experts in the field! Call us today at (754)-703- 8317 and book your appointment with our mold remediation experts.
All you need to know about molds hazards
Mold is a fungal organism that propagates in the form of hyphae. This extended structure extends in multiple directions, forming varied shapes and forms. The germination of mold occurs through spores that disseminate into the air, which can be inhaled and become a serious health issue. Mold grows heavily in damp, humid environments, where it thrives and germinates fast.
Mold does not only cause damage to the flooring, but this issue drags and causes extreme issues for the people in its surroundings. So, what exactly is the solution to mold growing under vinyl flooring? Here is all you need to know about it
Common signs to predict mold growing under your vinyl flooring
It is easy to spot mold growing on the wall, ceiling, etc. while finding mold growing under your vinyl floor is not that easy. Different ways can help you identify if mold or mildew is present underneath your vinyl flooring recommended by experts. The most common areas where mold can be detected include bathrooms, kitchens, and places exposed to humidity and moisture.
So, here is a list of common signs that predict the presence of mold under your vinyl floor:
- Locations with exposure to moisture:One of the most common signs of mold growth is to analyze the places with exposure to moisture. Such locations include sinks, toilets, washbasins, or water leakage issues.
- The unbearable musty smell:Usually, there is an earthy, mushy odor when mold grows in the surrounding. This odor can be detected easily when the mold has grown significantly. This earthy odor is often unbearable, and a single sniff can easily track mold growth.
- Varied patterns and signs:One of the main signs of mold growth is dark green, black or brown, or sometimes yellow or orange. The velvety texture of mold growing in your surroundings is evident when the mold hyphae have extended significantly. These patterns can be found growing in multiple, non-uniform directions.
- Take the bleach test at home: Another quick way to find mold presence is the use 1 part bleach and 16 parts water on the area where you suspect mold growth. If the mold reappears after some time, it will show that mold is present there. You must remember that bleach is not the ultimate solution to mold damage; it is just a way to detect it.
- Check out for leakage or plumbing issues: one of the most common ways of mold growing on your property is when it gets the right conditions for growth. Mold thrives in moisture and humidity, and leakages allow mold presence that often goes undetected. It is important to check your pipelines now and then to see if there is a source of mold growth.
- Constant sickness: mold propagates through spores, which can cause serious health difficulties when inhaled. Suppose you or people around you are facing occasional sickness with symptoms related to respiratory or nasal infections. In that case, it is a high chance that mold is hiding on your property somewhere.
How to prevent mold from damaging the vinyl plank flooring?
The main question is how mold can be prevented from entering the vinyl plank flooring and how to protect your flooring. Preventing the moisture barrier is the best way you can do so. Investing in it would be more beneficial to provide improved protection over your wood-look flooring because you can acquire them quickly and at pretty reasonable rates, and some mold remediation or home renovation firms offer warranties.
What Causes mold growth under Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Both outside and inside your property, this fungal organism can grow without you knowing about it. Mold first appears in the outside world but eventually enters a house when given the right conditions to grow. For growth, it needs food, air, and moisture. But for it to grow, there must also be warmth and darkness. In the presence of moisture and oxygen, vinyl plank flooring may develop into a food source for mold.
If there is a lot of moisture present all the time, mold will grow more quickly. This is also why bathrooms or washrooms are often affected by molds because most people take showers in the bathroom. It usually has a lot of moisture. The unreasonable setting of tiles is also why molds can grow under vinyl flooring. When tiles are not fixed professionally, small gaps are left. These gaps allow the mold to escape and enter the base of the flooring. Mold is also prone to develop when vinyl plank flooring is exposed to water more regularly or due to standing water on the vinyl floor.
Do I need professional help with mold under my vinyl flooring?
Molds are not just contaminants of your property, but it also causes serious damage to the health of the people in their surroundings. It is crucial to take help from experts to prevent such incidents and keep your house safe from this fungal attack. Following are some of the steps taken by Mold and Environmental to prevent mold attacks from your vinyl flooring
Mold and Environmental took steps to prevent mold under vinyl plank flooring.
Step 1: clean and clear the room
Setting aside the part of the room affected by molds from the rest is crucial. We might ask you to evacuate the escape for some time while our team works to remove all the unaffected furniture and other objects from the room. We will seal the room and keep it clear. Anything affected by mold attack will be removed from your property to prevent the spread of mold attack any further.
Step 2: drying the floor
We will now place a fan in the window that faces outward to blow the floor from any water content or moisture. It is essential to note that the blower must not face the mold directly, or the spores will propel in all directions.
STEP 3: removing the planks and strips of the flooring
Now, we will look for where mold has caused the most havoc and slowly remove the planks from that area. Removing the strips from that place will help us see underneath. It becomes difficult for homeowners to remove the strips gently because they are glued to the floor very tightly. We often use a heat gun or chemical stripper to pull it out from the base.
The contaminated baseboards are now removed, and the floor is clear of moldy strips.
STEP 4: mold remediation process
It is very easy to remove the mold from your property, but mold remediation is a deal that is only possible by experts. We will undergo a sampling and mold remediation process to ensure that the room is clear of mold damage.
STEP 5: Vacuuming
We will vacuum the entire space to prevent any potential moisture from damaging the property to mold growth. Our team will ensure that all the moisture is removed at this step.
STEP 6: replacing the floor
Finally, we will replace your floor and set up a new one to make your property devoid of mold. This step is also accompanied by our recommendations for the future to prevent mold attacks.